Saturday, April 5, 2008

Modes of Transport

Friday morning I verntured out to try my shots at transportaion in Japan! My IC gave me maps and such to my 5 different school (3 of which I have met already). I didn't get so much lost as just ended up spending most of the day waiting for trains because I would either miss my train or get off at the wrong stop. However I did better today and made all the correct stop-offs at the right time. Yesterday stunk!

Although I received a schedule it was all in Japanese. After trying it on my own, I decided to ask for help. This didn't take much effort as the man (Tsubame train station ticket man) realised quickly that I didn't speak Japanese, nor did I know where I was going. He pulled out a schedule and wrote in English the stops I needed to get to (wrote over the Japanese)He wrote over the Japanese which columns where departure and arrivals and everything I needed to know. We didn't actually speak much at all. The Japanese aren't always really bold with speaking English although many of them are familiar with it, but they do really well writing English. And wasn't that a wonderful thing! So I got my way around today! YAY!

I'm really glad there's such good public transportation here, other wise I'd be stuck not getting out too far.

All kinds of mode are used here. Everything from vehicles to vespas and bike to buses and my personal favorite, trains!!!

The cute thing about bikes is that they all have baskets, either on the front or on the back or both!!! Where there is a bike there is a basket!



Cars are very small...I guess so they can fit in those really small streets! They are built more up than out and for someone from the US they may look a little un proportional than what we are accustomed.







Here's the train! I send many a minutes of the day here. Bring a book! Bring a sketchpad and pencil!





If you are wondering about the different color license plate.

White-standard size
Yellow-compact
Green-taxi

No comments: