Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tabe-te

Since you all got the gran tour of Tsubame and a little bit of Sanjo, I thought I'd continue with a little info about food. Keep in mind this is only based off the little I know or have come to know. I'm sure in time I'll be able to expand this section as I am also interested in the culinary arts of Japan.

Food in Japan is really expensive, (everything is, and not just in Tokyo). I wish I could tell you that I eat sushi all day. But it's actually more pricey here in Japan than in the states. So all of you still in the states: Eat SUSHI!!!! Here's a little glimpse of the eating out prices.

At the Udon house a bowl will run you from 700-900 yen for a relativley simple dish(noodles and broth, probably a fish cake or chunk of tofu)($7.50-9.50ish US dollars)

If you go to a resturant an actual meal will cost you anywhere from 2100-25/2700, and that's usually a bowl of rice some meat and veggies of this or that combination and maybe a small bowl of miso soup....and a wet-nap for your hands. Each pack comes with a toothpick. (Seemingly they are big on toothpicks here.) ($21.00-25.00/27.00 US dollars)

Eating out is a little pricey. However it doesn't always have to be. Some of the best food comes from the this and that of creative findings. I have to say that I believe I am developing a knack for the food scoping.
Like Robyn can hunt a good deal I know where to find the good food, especially if it's a treat!



THIS is my favorite meal, yes even in Japan you can find a meal for 180 yen. (about $2.00 US dollars)Toward Sanjo is a busy bakery called "The Little Mermaid". Prior to my visiting Japan I never thought much about the connection of bread to Japan. Japanese MAKE GOOOOOOOD BREAD and pastries! The one that you see above I call the 'carb pod', when my Japanese gets better I'll ask about what it is and what it's called etc. I call it the 'carb pod' though because it's a long hoagie-esque roll, itallian bread style (like a Bolio but with a tougher crust) it's cut open and has potato stuffed inside (this potato is kinda like a potato salad but without the egg and such...and kinda like mashed potatoes with herbs, yeah, it's a breed of that)THEN, it's topped with three little pieces of ham and a drizzle of mayo!IT's sooo good!

Here's what makes it the best! Take it home and put it in the micro for 10 sec. Now that is realllly yummy! The bread gets all warm and squishy. They make alot of yummy things there. I thought I'd try a few others and show you how pretty their breads are.



The one on the left is a sweet bean bread (not my fav.) and the other is a sweet bean paste bread swirled around in the dough so it turned kinda green (VERY tasty!)

Today on my way to get a iron (which is was very blessed to find in my price range) I saw a really cute store with sakura all over it and cute and fancy and decorative, naturally I was drawn in! (Plus this is how I find everything in Japan since I can't read the signs, I go in and investigate). Of course...it was a bakery and tea house that specialize it beautiful desserts! Didn't I tell you I was good at this or what? So at first I thought I'd just take a quick peek around and leave on my way but a cute little lady came out bowing and very polite and served me REEEEEEAaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllyyyyy good tea (the best I've had in Japan yet)I think it was fig or something. I didn't really know but it was oishi (delicious)and it was served with a little snack. I'm not sure what that was either but it was tasty, and something of the figish flavor but not really powerful and seedy like a Newton. WOW, so I couldn't just walk out now. Oh ok, twist me arm I had to buy a piece of beautiful cake!



There where soooo many different kinds and they where all sooo fancy. I chose this one. The cake part of the dessert is kinda like mom's pepper biscotti (in flavor) but was a soft cake. The frothy stuff the cake is wrapped in is kinda like mousse. It's really light and fluffy (airy)it was mostly creme-y with a a very delicate chocolate flavor. It might look a little funny in the picture because I accidently droped it on the way home. However the woman packed it so nicley to go for me that there wasn't any big damage done to the cake.

Those are a few of the goodies I've scoped out and I'm sure there will be more to come. However...I have been doing some cooking of my own...




Since it's pricey to eat here I've also scoped out the deals at the grocery stores. Within the three grocery stores around my house I already know which ones have better what and for which price. One of my favorite deals are bean sprout!!! I throw them into everything! For a honkin' huge bag at the price of 55 yen, it's a no brainer. I toss it into what ever I'm making and add a crunch, it's good with egg, or rice or other veggies and tasty on top of salads. Now that I look at the picture I see that they are in both of the dishes I have made. So I figure with the money I save in that area I can trot on over to Sanjo and hunt out something new and tasty to try every now and again.

No comments: